Just some information I thought you should have about taxes – in case you haven’t filed yours. Looks like Trump’s tax plan isn’t working quite like he said it would.
The first Democratic Primary Debates will be in June in Miami. The DNC established clear rules for which candidates for the 2020 Presidential race would qualify for the a place on the stage and who would not. There are two methods of qualifying. One is to be above the 1% mark in polling in any number of national polls. Second, The second is to have a significant number of grassroots contributors.
Here’s the stage so far:
- Joe Biden – We already knew this, but I heard a rumor today that Joe has had an accusation of sexual harassment leveled against him. We’ll see what happens.
- Bernie Sanders – We knew this too due to his significant fundraising abilities.
- Kamala Harris – She has quite a following and polls very well.
- Beto O’Rourke – I remain confused about Beto. I loved him in Texas. I know he’s unconventional, but I’d love to hear him make a policy speech. He beat Bernie in fundraising. Get off the tables in diners, Beto, and make a speech already. You’ll win voters.
- Elizabeth Warren – I like her policy knowledge, but she’s a hard-core progressive. She knows her stuff. Would people like her enough so that she could beat Trump?
- Cory Booker – Could he command enough of the African-American vote? I like him a lot and he knows the landscape. Is he tough enough to beat Trump?
- Amy Klobachar – She meets the polling requirements. I like her, but she’s no progressive. More of a realist in today’s political climate.
- Pete Buttigieg – He’s gaining a lot of followers. His politics are probably the future of the Democratic Party. Could he possibly hang in there with Donald?
- Julian Castro – I’ve always liked this guy, but like Beto, he needs to make a big policy speech. He’ll do well in later primary states as the only Latino in the field. He’s polling now at the bottom of the field.
- Kirsten Gillibrand – She’s impressive when she speaks, but I’ve found it hard to get excited about her. Again, my dealbreaker is can she hold her own with Trump?
- Jay Inslee – The climate change guy. If he can roll climate change into a real platform, there might be someone to look at here.
- John Hickenlooper – Denver mayor. Moderate (I think). If anyone knows much about him, please share.
- Andrew Yang…..about whom I know nothing. I might do a post on him. Anyone know anything? Comments?
My wish for someone who could make a difference? Former Virginia Governor Terry McAuliffe.
Adam Shiff, Chairman of the Intelligence Committee, was called on by Republicans to resign since he supported the Mueller investigation into the possibility that Trump had colluded with Russia during his campaign and has tried to obstruct justice. Shiff had a very eloquent response.
What about the First Amendment?
Do you believe in the First Amendment of the Constitution? Freedom of Speech? Apparently our President does not. Now that he thinks he has been exonerated from the charges of collusion and obstruction of justice, he is screaming at the top of his lungs that his detractors be burned at the stake for daring to question his behavior or criticize him. In the U.S., we have this little thing called the Constitution. The First Amendment of the Constitution guarantees we as citizens the protection of Freedom of Speech. No, it is not treasonous to criticize and question the President, unlike what Donald Trump would like for us to believe. He can’t send death squads after all the Democrats. Well, I guess he could but then we’d have to suspend the Constitution and call ourselves Venezuela.